Category : Uncategorised
At our April meeting, Jordon Graham of Brand At Hand summarised the key areas of the GDPR that small businesses need to be aware of.
As a business, it is your responsibility to be ready before 25th May 2018.
What is the GDPR?
- It replaces the Data Protection Act.
- Affects ALL UK organisations who process or store personal information.
- Introduces greater levels of accountability & puts the individual in more control.
What does it mean for our businesses?
Data must be processed…
- For a specific purpose
- Opt-in consent
- Clear privacy notices
- The right to be forgotten
Businesses who do not comply can be fined up to 4% of their global turnover or €20 million – whichever is greater.
GDPR & Marketing
There are many ways in which the GDPR will impact how you conduct your marketing activity – particularly around consent, including:
- You need specific consent to send unsolicited direct marketing.
- Ask customers to tick opt-in boxes to confirm their preferences.
- Ask for specific consent if you want to pass details to other companies.
- Screen call lists against the TPS & CTPS.
- Only use bought-in lists for email, text or recorded calls with very specific consent.
- Keep clear records of consent, and keep a ‘do not contact’ list.
For more information on Marketing & GDPR, read Brand At Hand’s guide here.
GDPR & Your Website
Keeping your website safe and secure will protect it from threats including malware, viruses, and phishing. Below is Brand At Hand’s advice on website security:
- Install the latest updates & security patches.
- Ask for consent on your contact form & include a CAPTCHA.
- Backups help you to avoid loss of important files in the event of a disaster.
- You’re obliged to display a Cookie Notification to visitors.
- An SSL security certificate ensures that data is kept secure.
To help get your website ready for GDPR, Brand At Hand have produced a 6 step guide. Read it here.
The above is a whistle-stop tour of the GDPR. More in-depth information to help your business prepare is available on the Information Commissioner’s website: ico.org.uk/for-organisations/business
Brand At Hand
Office 1613, 109 Vernon House, Friar Lane, Nottingham, NG1 6DQ.
Tel: 0115 784 6826
The above information is considered to be correct at the time of writing and in no way is a substitute for legal advice. For full details of the GDPR and how to ensure your business is fully compliant please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.